Iraqi forces evacuate 1,000 civilians from Mosul front lines

The International Organisation for Migration says at least 8,940 people have been displaced since the operation to retake Mosul began on October 17.

By: AP | Khazer | Published:October 26, 2016 4:14 pm
Iraq, Mosul, Mosul islamic state, Islamic State, Mosul Iraq, Iraq Mosul, Mosul death toll Soldiers give the first aid to a boy injured during the clashes between Iraq’s elite counterterrorism forces and Islamic State militiants in the village of Tob Zawa, about 9 kilometers (5½ miles) from Mosul, Iraq, Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016. Iraqi forces battled Islamic State fighters for a third day in a remote western town far from Mosul on Tuesday, but the U.S.-led coalition insisted the latest in a series of “spoiler attacks” had not forced it to divert resources from the fight to retake Iraq’s second-largest city. (AP Photo/Qassim Abdul-Zahra)

Iraqi special forces have moved over 1,000 people from villages near the front lines of the battle to retake the Islamic State-held city of Mosul and surrounding areas, where the UN says militants have committed a number of atrocities in recent days, officials said today. Special forces Maj. Gen. Haider Fadhil said residents of Tob Zawa and other villages were taken to a camp in the nearby Khazer region for their safety. The International Organisation for Migration says at least 8,940 people have been displaced since the operation to retake Mosul began on October 17.

WATCH VIDEO

The special forces were undertaking cleanup operations in areas retaken from the militants to the east of the city, where troops uncovered a vast tunnel network used by IS to shuttle fighters and supplies by motorcycle, Maj. Salam
al-Obeidi said. Iraqi forces have been pushing toward Mosul from several directions since the launch of the wide-scale offensive, which involves more than 25,000 Iraqi soldiers, Kurdish forces, Sunni tribal fighters and state-sanctioned Shiite militiamen.

ALSO READ: Mosul offensive: Iraq battles IS far from Mosul front lines

It is expected to take week, if not months, to drive IS from its last urban bastion in the country. The militants have had months to prepare for the long-awaited operation and are believed to have developed extensive defenses in and around the city. In recent weeks they are also said to have targeted alleged spies and others they fear may rise up against them.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said yesterday that IS appears to have carried out a number of atrocities in recent days in and around Mosul, including killing 50 former Iraqi police officers they had been holding in a building near the city.

Spokesman Rupert Colville said Iraqi forces found the bodies of 70 civilians who had been shot dead in the Tuloul
Nasser village, some 35 kilometres south of Mosul. He said it was not immediately clear who was responsible for the
killings, and cautioned that it was hard to immediately verify the reports. He told reporters in Geneva that the UN rights body also had reports that the militants gunned down 15 villagers south of the city and threw their bodies in a river. In the same village, IS tied six people to vehicles by their hands and dragged them around because they were related to a tribal leader battling the extremists, he said.

“We very much fear that these will not be the last such reports we receive of such barbaric acts,” Colville said. The UN and rights groups have expressed fears that IS may use civilians as human shields as Iraqi forces converge on the country’s second largest city, which is still home to more than a million people.

Colville said IS fighters shot dead three women and three girls because they were lagging behind as the militants were forcibly relocating them to another district south of Mosul. He said they were lagging behind because one of the girls had a disability.