The animals of Sydney’s harbourside Taronga Zoo munched celebratory meals on Friday, to mark the park’s centenary. Elephants licked iceblocks, lemurs ate apples, and the koalas were given a special serving of their customary eucalypt leaf, a zoo spokesman said. In the giraffe enclosure olive boughs were shaped to form the figure “100” and served as breakfast, consumed with relish by the giraffes before a backdrop of the habour with the city and its famous bridge.
One of Sydney’s main tourist attractions, Taronga Zoo opened in 1916, when Australia was at war in Europe. Its “bar-less” enclosures were inspired by Hamburg Zoo and it was stocked with a menagerie of 228 mammals, 552 birds and 64 reptiles which crossed Sydney Harbour by barge from an earlier zoo.
“A hundred years ago Taronga was primarily a place of entertainment, today it is leading world cutting-edge research and education for wildlife,” New South Wales state environment minister Mark Speakman said at the zoo. The celebrations were launched by a Fiordland Crested Penguin called Munro, who stood by while keepers sang “Happy Birthday”, some dressed in historic uniforms.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Each year, about 1.4 million people visit the zoo and it is now home to more than 4,000 animals.