Germany explosion: Blast outside migration office in Zirndorf

According to German media, a suitcase was source of the blast outside Bundesamtes für Migration in Zirndorf, Bavaria.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: July 27, 2016 10:46 pm
GERMANY OUT - Police standing near the preliminary reception center for refugees in Zirndorf, Germany, Wednesday July 27, 2016. A suitcase containing a spray can exploded near a refugee center and a police station in the German state of Bavaria on Wednesday, but no one was hurt, authorities said. (Daniel Karmann/dpa via AP) GERMANY OUT – Police standing near the preliminary reception center for refugees in Zirndorf, Germany, Wednesday July 27, 2016. A suitcase containing a spray can exploded near a refugee center and a police station in the German state of Bavaria on Wednesday, but no one was hurt, authorities said. (Daniel Karmann/dpa via AP)

An explosion was reported from outside the government office for migration and refugees in Germany.

According to German media, a suitcase was source of the blast outside Bundesamtes für Migration in Zirndorf, Bavaria. Police at the scene, according to Sun.co.uk, reported some witnesses saying they heard a loud explosion, while other saw a burning suitcase at a nearby garden.

A German broadcaster said that the suitcase was filled with aerosols near Nuremberg. So far, no information on casualties or injuries have been reported. Photos from the scene showed police officers surrounding the remains of the suitcase. German police say they have deployed officers near the site of the explosion.

The blast comes just days after a Syrian asylum seeker blew himself up outside a music festival in Bavaraian town of Ansbach. The online magazine of the Islamic State group has described how a 27-year-old Syrian asylum-seeker who blew himself up at a bar in the southern German town of Ansbach spent months planning the attack, once even hiding his home-made bomb in his room moments before a police raid.

ZIRNDORF

The weekly Al-Nabaa magazine’s report, published late on July 26, added that Mohammad Daleel had fought both in Iraq and Syria with a branch of al-Qaida and the IS group before arriving in Germany as an asylum-seeker two years ago. Daleel died and 15 people were wounded when the bomb exploded in a wine bar Sunday night after he wasn’t allowed entry to a nearby open-air concert because he didn’t have a ticket.

The Ansbach attack was the last one of four attacks in the country in the span of a week, two of which have been claimed by the Islamic State extremist group.

The attacks have left Germany on edge and Chancellor Angela Merkel’s policies of welcoming refugees under renewed criticism.

Conservative lawmakers have called for an increased police presence, better surveillance and background checks of migrants and new strategies to deport criminal asylum seekers more easily.

Further details awaited.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results