Two freight trains crashed head-on Friday morning outside Philadelphia, knocking one locomotive off the tracks and injuring two crew members.
Watch What Else is Making News
The CSX trains remained upright following the crash in Chester, about 15 miles from Philadelphia. The trains had been traveling the same track, but local law enforcement and the transportation company are trying to determine how fast each was traveling and what caused the crash, CSX spokesman Rob Doolittle said.
Philly.com reports only one car, a locomotive, appeared to have left the tracks. Doolittle said he did not have any information about a derailment, but that four locomotives were involved.
One of the trains, composed of three locomotives and 64 freight cars, was empty as it traveled from Richmond, Virginia, to Camden, New Jersey. It hit another CSX train that had one locomotive pulling eight intermodal cars carrying consumer goods and food products to Atlanta from Quebec, Canada.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Neither train was carrying hazardous materials, but some diesel spilled on the tracks as a result of the crash, Philly.com reported.
“Basically, it’s a minor accident that happens to be two trains,” Chester Township Fire Chief Jeff Comisiak told reporters at the scene.
Two crew members were aboard each train at the time, but Doolittle declined to comment on the extent of the injuries suffered by two of them. They were taken to a hospital for treatment, he said.
Ray Guy, 58, told Philly.com that he was moving his car at his home alongside the tracks when he saw an eastbound train and a parked westbound train on the same track “hit hard.” Guy said one of the crew members appeared dazed.
Comisiak said the four workers were outside the locomotives when first responders arrived.