U.S. president-elect Donald Trump needs to clarify his views on Russia, and to understand that NATO must be treated as an alliance of shared values rather than a business, Germany’s defence minister said. “What his advisors will hopefully tell him and what he needs to learn is that NATO isn’t just a business. It’s not a company,” Ursula von der Leyen told a ZDF talk show on Thursday. “I don’t know how he values NATO.” During his election campaign, Trump threatened to abandon U.S. allies in Europe if they do not spend enough on defence.
“You can’t say ‘the past doesn’t matter, the values we share don’t matter’ but instead try to get as much money out of it (NATO) as possible and whether I can get a good deal out of it,” she said.
Von der Leyen advised Trump against getting too close to Russian President Vladimir Putin, noting that NATO had stood by the United States after the 9/11 attacks.
“Donald Trump has to say clearly on which side he is. Whether he’s on the side of the law, peace and democracy or whether he doesn’t care about all that and instead he’s looking for a best buddy (with Putin),” she said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Trump has expressed admiration for Putin, condemned by the West for his actions in Ukraine.