The US was committed to supply eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan despite India’s efforts to block its delivery, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif said on Tuesday.
“The (Barack) Obama administration is committed to supply eight F-16 fighter jets despite efforts by India and former Pakistani ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani to block the delivery,” Asif said.
His statement comes days after reports said that the Republican-controlled US Congress has stalled sale of F-16 jets to Islamabad, amid growing anti-Pakistan sentiments on Capitol Hill over its reluctance in taking action against terrorist groups.
Pakistani lawmakers in the National Assembly during a debate assailed US Congress for stalling the sale of the jet, prompting the minister to intervene.
Asif did not clarify how India and Haqqani, who was Pakistan’s ambassador during government of Asif Ali Zardari, were influencing the decision of US Congress.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Haqqani was hated by military and was removed after memo-gate scandal, related to memo he wrote to US government against army.
Pakistan has sought the F-16 jets which are backbone of its air force and are also being used for operations against the militants.
The Obama administration in October said it is preparing to sell eight new F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan.
Pakistan and the US have had a tenuous relationship but Islamabad has been successful to get US military hardware despite tensions and concerns about its commitment in fighting militancy.