Deal to evacuate Syrian Islamist fighters is halted: Hezbollah TV

The TV report said coaches that had arrived on Friday to pick up the fighters and at least 1,500 family members had turned back.

By: Reuters | Beirut | Updated: December 26, 2015 4:57 pm
Islamic State, Syrian Islamic fighters, Islamic fighters in Syria, ISlamic State fighters, IS fighters, Islamic state news, ISIS news, IS news Syrian Islamist fighters

A U.N.-sponsored deal to give safe passage to more than 2,000 Islamic State fighters and other hardline insurgents holed up in rebel-held south Damascus neighbourhoods has been suspended, Lebanese Hezbollah’s TV station said on Saturday.

It said the deal fell through after a top rebel commander, Zahran Alloush, was killed in an air strike on Friday. The convoy carrying the fighters had been due to pass through territory he controlled en route to their ultimate destination of Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State in northern Syria.

The TV report said coaches that had arrived on Friday to pick up the fighters and at least 1,500 family members had turned back.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda