Chinese President Xi Jinping Friday called for building strong armed forces – under the command of the Communist Party leadership – that commensurate with the country’s international status and national security. Speaking at a function to commemorate 80th anniversary of victory of Long March led by Chairman Mao Zedong to capture power, Xi, who is regarded as the most powerful leader after Mao, said the party’s absolute leadership over armed forces is the fundamental guarantee for the army’s victory.
Watch What Else Is Making News
“To build a strong country requires efforts to build a strong army, and only with a strong army can the country’s security be guaranteed,” said Xi, the general secretary of Communist Party of China and chairman of Central Military Commission – the high command of the Chinese military.
His comments came amid reports of murmurs of dissent over his military reforms which included retrenchment of three lakh troops to downsize 2.3-million strong People’s Liberation Army (PLA) – the world’s largest military.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Xi has already reconstituted military’s administrative and command structure after carrying out an anti-corruption drive in which several retired and servicing top officials were indicted.
He called for efforts to foster a new generation of Chinese servicemen who are “soldiers with soul, high caliber, gut and virtue,” and to build rock-solid troops with “iron-like belief, conviction, discipline and commitment.”
“The Long March is the glory of the people’s army, and the honourable people’s army must always carry forward the great spirit and fine tradition of the Red Army in the Long March,” Xi said.
He called on the armed forces to adhere to the party’s absolute leadership, maintain their nature and uphold their principles as the people’s army, and be the heir to the Red Army.
Moreover, he urged the military to uphold political integrity, promote reform and rule of law, and strengthen combat readiness, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The entire military should remain vigilant and be aware of its responsibilities, Xi said, noting that the modernisation of national defence and armed forces must advance in a bid to safeguard the country’s national sovereignty, security and development interest.