China on Wednesday said it was “very dissatisfied” with South Korea after the latter’s coast guard fired warning shots at Chinese fishermen in South Korean waters. South Korea’s coast guard vessels regularly chase Chinese boats for fishing illegally off the country’s coast, at times sparking violent confrontations. On Tuesday, the South Korean Coast Guard said it stopped two Chinese vessels that were fishing illegally, prompting about 30 other Chinese boats in the same group to swarm around and collide with the coast guard vessel.
“The safety of our own Coast Guard members was at risk,” said Lee Dae-haeng, a spokesman at the Coast Guard’s central regional headquarters. No Chinese fishermen were harmed, however, said South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.
China has made several diplomatic protests to South Korea over the use of force by its coast guard, said Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying. “Using destructive weapons against fishermen can hurt them and cause great financial loss,” Hua told a news briefing.
“China will strengthen the management and discipline of our fishermen. We also hope China and South Korea can increase communication on this issue.” In September, three Chinese fishermen were killed in a fire aboard their boat when a South Korean coast guard crew trying to apprehend them for illegal fishing threw flash grenades into a room where they were hiding, a South Korean official said.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn