Police has said that they have identified and are searching for four of the more than 30 men suspected in the gangrape of a 16-year-old girl, a case that has rocked Latin America’s largest nation and highlighted its endemic problem of violence against women.
The announcement came on Friday as acting President Michel Temer called an emergency meeting of the security ministers for each of Brazil’s states to consider gender-related crimes.
“It’s absurd that in the 21st century we have to live with barbarous crimes like this,” Temer said in a statement.
- Shah Rukh Khan, Karan Johar, Gauri Khan and Shweta Nanda pose for their own VOGUE cover
- In Parsi genes, new clues on old cultures
- Mulayam Singh Yadav: Not launching any new party
- Nokia 8 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage launch set for October 20: Report
- Australia announces new space agency to develop domestic space industry
- BJP national executive meeting begins in Delhi; economic issues likely to take centrestage
He promised to create a federal police force unit tasked with tackling crimes against women.
The assault came to light after several men joked about the attack online, posting graphic photos and videos of the unconscious, naked teen on Twitter.
Police also asked for the public’s help to track down the four men and identify the others. Local eports said more than 800 people had called a hotline that was set up to share information.
Authorities say the rape happened last Saturday while the girl was visiting her boyfriend in the Sao Joao shantytown on the west side of Rio de Janeiro.
“I want them to await the justice of God. I feel like trash,” the 16-year-old said in brief comments to the O Globo newspaper.
“It’s the stigma that hurts me the most. It is as if people are saying ‘it’s her fault. She was using scanty clothes.’ I want people to know that it is not the woman’s fault. You can’t blame a robbery victim, for being robbed.”
At a news conference on Friday, police said the girl reported being raped by 33 men and regaining consciousness the following day. Police said they had been unable to confirm exactly how many men may have taken part.
Rio police chief Fernando Veloso said at a news conference that investigators will review forensic evidence and seek to interview the suspects.
“If these images hadn’t been posted, maybe we wouldn’t be here right now,” said Veloso, adding that many rapes go unreported.
The girl’s 19-year-old boyfriend was one of the men being sought, but police said they did not know whether he may have been one of the attackers. Police said the men were armed, though it wasn’t clear if the weapons were used to intimidate the victim during the attack.
Guns are common in Rio’s drug- and violence-plagued slums, as are reprisal killings.
When asked by reporters if the girl’s life might be in danger for reporting the incident, Veloso responded: “That would be a subjective answer. Who isn’t at risk in Rio de Janeiro?”