Belgium will extend its F-16 airstrikes against Islamic State jihadists in Iraq into Syria, the government said on Friday, as it grapples with the fallout from deadly IS-claimed bomb attacks in Brussels in March.
“In accordance with UN Resolution 2249, the engagement will be limited to those areas of Syria under the control of IS and other terrorist groups,” a spokesman for Prime Minister Charles Michel told AFP after a cabinet meeting.
- Syrian Kurdish party backs longer United States role in Syria
- Clashes between Iraqi forces and IS along Syria border
- Territorial losses suffered by Islamic State in Syria, Iraq
- Foreigners who joined ISIS faced almost certain death in Raqqa
- Al-Qaida set to gain as Islamic State disintegrates
- EU warns of 'real risk' of new funds for terror attacks