An Australian official said the prime minister has told government colleagues that an early general election within weeks is a “live option.”
Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull will alone decide the timing of the next election. He has maintained that he plans for his government to run a full three-year term which would make the election due around September.
- Struggling Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull wins much-needed victory with labour bill
- Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull admonishes absent colleagues
- Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull under pressure to revise agenda
- Australia elections: Vote count favours PM Turnbull
- ‘Double dissolution’ in Australia: How it compares with the Indian experience
- Australian PM Malcom Turnbull says will legalise gay marriage if majority votes for it
The government minister, on conditions of anonymity, said, Turnbull told his colleagues today, at their first meeting at Parliament House for the year, that the election can be called much sooner.
For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: February 2, 2016 11:58 am