Twelve people including two children died and 30 were injured when their bus turned over on Tuesday near the tourist resort of Cancun, emergency services said.
The bus crashed in the early hours in a wooded area of the Carrillo Puerto municipality, said Reyes Silvestre, head of the local civil protection rescue team.
- At least 48 dead when bus plunges onto rocky beach in Peru
- At least 33 dead as bus falls into river in Rajasthan
- Four newborns die in 12 hours in Bijnor: District administration orders inquiry after parents allege ‘medical negligence’
- 12 dead, 18 injured in bus crash on excursion to Mexican ruins
- French death toll rises to 5 children in train-bus crash
- Car mows down seven-year-old, driver dies of ‘cardiac arrest’
There were 50 passengers on board, all Mexicans, Silvestre told AFP. The bus had driven some 200 kilometers (120 miles) from the Veracruz region headed for Cancun.
“Among the 12, there was a baby who died at the scene of the accident, and another child whose exact age we do not know, who died while being transferred to hospital,” Silvestre said.