China has arrested about 1.34 lakh suspects linked to drug-related crimes over the past year, authorities said highlighting the growing drug problem in the country.
The arrests were made in about 1.13 lakh cases, the National Narcotics Control Commission (NNCC) said, as China marked the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on Sunday.
- Philippine police say 13 killed in one day of drug busts
- NCB arrests 20-year-old in Nashik for ‘supplying’ drugs to Kolkata
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte demands review of dropped cases vs alleged drug kingpins
- Drug case: Punjab and Haryana HC sends Majithia probe report to state govt, ED
- Mumbai: Four months after Talasari drug haul, ‘dealer’ arrested in Bengaluru
- China says US should do more to cut its ‘enormous’ opioid demand
Railway police alone have arrested 1,238 suspects and seized nearly 2.8 tonnes of drugs since the beginning of this year, it said.
Meanwhile, state Councilor Guo Shengkun, also head of the NNCC, has called for a prolonged “people’s war” to stop the spread of drugs, saying all social forces should be mobilised for drug control.
The state councilor also vowed ‘zero tolerance’ and severe punishment for drug-related crimes in order to deter offenders, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.