- Colm McLoughlin receives the coveted Arabian Business Achievement Award
China has arrested about 1.34 lakh suspects linked to drug-related crimes over the past year, authorities said highlighting the growing drug problem in the country.
The arrests were made in about 1.13 lakh cases, the National Narcotics Control Commission (NNCC) said, as China marked the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on Sunday.
- Cocaine, LSD seized from Khar residence: Police custody of suspected drug peddler extended till December 21
- No guidelines on glove and syringe usage: panel on Fortis
- Drugs worth crores found in Delhi: German held for supplying LSD to parties
- MHA looks to invoke Unlawful Activities Prevention Act against J&K drug cartel
- Haryana drug abuse: 84 per cent of cases registered since last year still under trial
- Banned drug worth Rs 21 lakh seized in Palghar; 3 arrested
Railway police alone have arrested 1,238 suspects and seized nearly 2.8 tonnes of drugs since the beginning of this year, it said.
Meanwhile, state Councilor Guo Shengkun, also head of the NNCC, has called for a prolonged “people’s war” to stop the spread of drugs, saying all social forces should be mobilised for drug control.
The state councilor also vowed ‘zero tolerance’ and severe punishment for drug-related crimes in order to deter offenders, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.