US presidential elections 2016: A look into the life of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton

Hillary gave up on Republicanism in her college years as she was disillusioned by the party's take on the American civil rights movement and the Vietnam war.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: November 7, 2016 7:26 pm
us elections 2016, US presidential elections 2016, US president, American president, Hillary Clinton, Democratic party, Democrats, Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton profile, world news, Indian Express Hillary Rodham Clinton was born in 1947 to a middle class family in Illinois, Chicago.

The current election cycle in America is particularly important for the country as it might give them their first-ever female president. Hillary Clinton, who is the Democratic party nominee has been in the political circuit of America for decades now, ran for the Presidential elections against Barack Obama in 2008 and lost. In her speech to supporters that year she claimed that “although we weren’t able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it’s got about 18 million cracks in it.” This might very well be the year when Clinton shatters the hardest glass ceiling in America.

WATCH VIDEO: US Presidential Elections 2016: Here Is The Full Process

Hillary Rodham Clinton was born in 1947 to a middle class family in Illinois, Chicago. Her father was a Republican throughout his life. However, Hillary gave up on Republicanism in her college years as she was disillusioned by the party’s take on the American civil rights movement and the Vietnam war.

Also read: US presidential elections 2016: The life and career of Republican nominee Donald Trump

It was during her college years in Wellesley college that she got involved in social justice activism. At the student commencement ceremony in Wellesley college Clinton had made a spectacular speech in which she laid out her motivation for doing something about social injustices:

“We arrived at Wellesley and we found, as all of us have found, that there was a gap between expectation and realities. But it wasn’t a discouraging gap, and it didn’t turn us into cynical, bitter old women at the age of 18. It just inspired us to do something about that gap”

She went on to pursue a law degree from Yale University where she found herself getting initiated into work on children’s rights. She continued working as a lawyer and was part of the congressional committee investigating President Richard Nixon. She also founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, one of the state’s first child advocacy groups.

WATCH VIDEO: Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton Cleared By FBI: Here’s More

Clinton took on the role of first lady in 1992 and then in 1996 during which period she was involved in healthcare and human rights programs. Her tenure as first lady though, called for  large amount of criticism including that of covering up accusations against president Bill Clinton and of corruption.

In 2000, Clinton was elected as the US senator from New York with 67 per cent votes and in 2013 she became the secretary of state on the insistence of Barack Obama.

Clinton announced her decision to campaign for president a second time on April 12, 2015. Her manifesto for the elections includes making college debt-free, a fair tax system and combating terrorism. During the period of her election campaign, Clinton has been involved in a controversy regarding usage of private email server for official communications, some of the emails containing classified communication. On Monday, Clinton was cleared of all criminal accusations in case of the email controversy by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

As per the latest prediction polls of the New York Times, Clinton has 84 per cent chances of winning the elections as opposed to Donald Trump’s 16 per cent.