Syrian rebel factions are proposing a five-day cease-fire for the medical and civilian evacuation from the eastern part of the city of Aleppo. The rebel proposal on Wednesday comes as Syrian government and allied forces have gained control of three-quarters of the enclave that the rebels had controlled since 2012. The ground offensive was preceded by an intensive bombing campaign that knocked out medical facilities and left the civilian population in eastern Aleppo reeling from the onslaught. The proposal calls for the immediate evacuation of 500 seriously wounded Aleppo residents and for allowing civilians wishing to leave to head to northern rural Aleppo province, where there is almost no government presence.
Capt. Abdel-Salam Abdel-Razek of the rebel Nour el-Din el-Zinki faction says the future of the city of Aleppo is to be negotiated during this humanitarian pause, which the rebels want the United Nations to monitor. There was no immediate response from Damascus on the rebel proposal.
The Syrian government says Israel has launched several surface-to-surface missiles that hit near a military airport west of Damascus, triggering a fire. The official news agency SANA says the missiles were launched early on Wednesday from inside the “occupied territories” and fell within the perimeter of the Mezzeh military airport on the western edge of the capital. It added that no injuries were report.
It was the second such Israeli strike into Syria recently, according to the Syrian government. Last week, SANA said Israeli jets fired two missiles from Lebanese airspace toward the outskirts of Damascus, in the Sabboura area. The Israeli military declined to comment on that incident, and there was no immediate comment on Wednesday’s attack.