Former President Asif Ali Zardari has spent Rs 50 million from his own pocket to buy a house here for the cash-strapped Punjab unit of the Pakistan People’s Party.
Zardari, co-chairman of the PPP, has come to the rescue of PPP Punjab chapter as it had no money even to pay the salaries of the staff of its other offices in the province. However, Zardari got the two-kanal house in Model Town registry in the name of his children – Bilawal Bhutto, Bakhtawar and Assefa – instead of the PPP.
Interestingly, the new PPP secretariat is located in the neighbourhood of the PML-N’s provincial headquarters. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif owns the PML-N Secretariat in H-block in Model Town.
The PPP, which received drubbing in the general election in Punjab, is cash strapped for quite some time now. It had acquired the Model Town office on rent before the polls last year. A notice to vacate the house was served on the party when it did not pay the rent for a couple of months. It even had no money to pay the salaries of the employees there as well as those of Faisal Town office.
The situation was brought to the knowledge of Zardari who not only directed some ‘rich’ party members in both Punjab and Sindh provinces to donate to the party funds, but also sent the amount from his pocket to buy the Model Town office. “He spent Rs 50 million from his own pocket to buy the PPP office in Lahore,” a senior PPP leader told PTI.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Earlier, Zardari had bought a big bomb-proof house at Bahria Town here, which he named after his son Bilawal. Property tycoon Malik Riaz had built the house for Zardari and his family members.