A senior Pakistani prosecutor, who is in-charge of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks case and the Benazir Bhutto murder case, has sought security as his life is under threat.
Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) special prosecutor Mohammad Azhar Chaudhry did not turn up on Saturday for a hearing in the case related to the killing of the former prime minister citing security concerns.
The case, hearing of which has been postponed to March 22, was being heard by Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) judge Pervez
Joya within the premises of the Adiyala prison in Rawalpindi.
Court officials told PTI that Chaudhry has moved an application seeking security arrangements for himself. They, however, did not elaborate on the exact kind of threats. The News daily on Sunday reported that in the last hearing, Azhar had told the court that the Punjab government had “withdrawn” his security despite being aware that he had received life threats.
“I am facing security threats. If I am not provided with the required security, I will disassociate myself from this case,” he had informed the court. The FIA prosecutor told the court that he was contesting a high-profile case on behalf of the State, but the State was not providing him with any security.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Azhar, who took over as special prosecutor in the case last year, assumed the position after his predecessor Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali was shot dead in Islamabad in May. The lawyer is also the prosecution chief in the Mumbai terror attacks case, in which LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi is one of the seven accused.
In Pakistan’s high-profile criminal and terror-related cases, the job of prosecutors as well as of the defence counsels is perilous. The recent terror attack on the Islamabad Local Court has raised concerns among the lawyer community.
Interestingly, the Mumbai case court is also based in the same premises though the hearings are mostly held at the Adiyala jail.