A special court in Pakistan on Friday reserved till April 28 its ruling on Pervez Musharraf’s plea seeking a copy of probe report which is the basis of the treason trial against the former military ruler.
The three-judge court, headed by Justice Faisal Arab of the Sindh High Court, heard the case pertaining to high treason charges against the 70-year-old former President.
Musharraf’s lawyer Farogh Nasim said the trial should be fair else it should not take place at all.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Nasim said that along with the Federal Investigation Agency’s (FIA) probe report on the outcome of the investigation process, all the documents pertaining to the case should also be provided.
He also questioned the initiation of the trial under Article 6 of the Constitution and said the process would be challenged.
Nasim also expressed his reservations regarding the safety and preservation of the documents, saying it was common knowledge that records were not maintained properly in Pakistan.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing of the case till April 28 while reserving its judgement related to the handing over of the FIA report.
Nasim on Thursday claimed several documentations pertaining to the emergency had been made to disappear and only the FIA report could help resolve the mystery as to which documents had gone missing.
He alleged that non-provision of the FIA investigation report shows “malintention” on part of the government.
On March 31, Musharraf was formally charged for subverting and circumventing the Constitution by imposing emergency in 2007.
The court had on April 16 ruled that daily hearings would be held starting from Friday.
Since Musharraf returned to Pakistan from self-exile in March last year, he has faced prosecution in four major cases, including for his alleged involvement in the murder of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
The former president, who is the first military ruler in Pakistan’s history to be tried in court, has rejected all the charges leveled against him.