On Friday a Sri Lankan court sentenced an LTTE operative to 20 years in jail for the murder of a popular army general six years ago.
The High Court in the north central town of Anuradhapura sentenced the unnamed LTTE militant for the killing of retired Major General Janaka Perera.
Perera, a celebrated soldier during the military’s battle against the LTTE, joined the main opposition UNP after retiring.
He was killed in October, 2008 when an LTTE suicide bomber blew himself up at the UNP office in Anuradhapura when Perera stood as the main opposition party’s chief ministerial candidate in the province.
At least 28 people, including Perera and his wife, were killed in the blast while over 90 others were also injured.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The LTTE had also opposed Perera’s tenure as Sri Lanka’s Ambassador to Australia previously.
Perera was feared as a military officer by the Tamil militant group as he had thwarted many rebel attacks on government troops during the over three-decade civil war.