The death toll in the two recent typhoons in China has reached 64 with another 21 people still missing, according to latest figures released by the Ministry of Civil Affairs here.
Super typhoon Rammasun and typhoon Matmo battered Chinese coast this week. 62 people died in the devastation caused by typhoon Rammasun, while two others were killed in Typhoom Matmo.
Natural disasters like floods and hail, typhoons and earthquakes have affected 120 million Chinese people so far this year in which 533 people were killed and 97 missing, the Ministry said.
The strongest typhoon to hit south China in four decades, Rammasun brought gales, downpours and floods to southern China, affecting over 11 million people in Guangdong, Hainan, Yunnan and Guangxi, it said.
A total of 862,000 people have been resettled and some 261,000 are in urgent need of basic necessities. The typhoon also caused direct economic losses of 38.5 billion yuan (USD 6.25 billion), state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Roads, power and water supplies and telecommunications in affected areas have been badly damaged. The ministry has launched 15 emergency response programs and worked with the Ministry of Finance to provide 1.97 billion yuan to affected people, it said.