Police in China’s restive western region of Xinjiang shot an armed assailant for attacking an officer, who later died, state media said on Wednesday.
The suspect used unspecified weapons to injure a police officer in the city of Urumqi on Monday night, the official China News Service reported. Officers who arrived at the site shot the attacker dead.
The injured officer, who was 29, later died, the news agency reported. The report did not identify the ethnicity of the assailant, but it was the latest in a series of attacks pointing to a growing unrest in the sprawling region.
Xinjiang is home to a simmering rebellion against Chinese rule among parts of the native Turkic Uighur population who chafe against Beijing’s rule. Recent clashes, including an attack on police last month, have left dozens of people dead.
Officials have also said an attack on March 1 at a train station in the southern city of Kunming, hundreds of miles outside Xinjiang, was carried out by Xinjiang separatists. That attack left 33 people dead, including four assailants who were killed by police.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review