At least 14 people were killed and over 50 others injured today in a major head-on collision between two passenger buses in northern Bangladesh.
The incident took place at the west side of Bangabandhu Bridge in Sirajganj district, around 125 kms from here, in the wee hours when a Rangpur-bound bus from Chittagong collided with a Dhaka-bound bus from Gaibandha area.
- Chandigarh: 10-year-old boy killed, 10 students hurt as PRTC bus rams into school bus
- West Bengal bus accident: Rescue operations resume, NDRF team pressed into action
- 13 killed, 3 injured as minibus plunges into Panchganga river
- 12 of Pune family die in road mishap
- Jharkhand: 13 dead, including four children in road mishap
- Six killed, 25 injured after mini-bus plunges into gorge in J-K
Soon after the accident, fire brigade, ambulances and police were rushed to the spot to carry out rescue and relief operations.
Among those killed, 12 people died on the spot including both the bus drivers while two others succumbed to injuries on way their way to hospital. All the injured were rushed to different nearby hospitals.
Meanwhile, an inquiry was initiated by the authorities. “A four-member committee has been set up to investigate
the accident and directed to submit their findings within three days,” Deputy Commissioner Billal Hossain was quoted as saying by bdnews24.com.
The families of those killed would be given 10,000 Taka (USD 129), he said.