Bangladesh’s shipping minister says at least 125 people are presumed dead after a ferry capsized central Bangladesh.
Shajahan Khan told reporters Tuesday that at least 110 people either swam to safety or were rescued.
Apparently, strong currents in the river upturned the boat on Monday carrying nearly double the number of passengers then its capacity as it was crossing the Padma.
It is estimated that more than 200 people were on board the M.V. Pinak when it went down Monday morning. Ferry operators in Bangladesh rarely maintain passenger lists.
An official of the Bangladesh Water Transport Authority, however, admitted their sonar system with capacity to scan a smaller area appeared a little ineffective in tracking down the ferry as the underwater heavy current might have pushed
the vessel elsewhere from the site where it sank.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
(With inputs from PTI)