The United States has pressed Iraq to explain media reports that it had signed a contract to buy arms from Iran, a move forbidden under a United Nations embargo. “We’ve certainly seen those reports. If true, this would raise serious concerns,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Monday.
A deal signed in November, in which Iraq would buy USD 195 million in arms from Iran, was reported by Reuters in Baghdad on Monday. Psaki said that “any transfer of arms from Iran to a third country is in direct violation” of the UN embargo. “We are seeking clarification on this matter from the government of Iraq and to ensure that Iraqi officials understand the limits that international law places on arms trade with Iran,” she added.
The contract with Iran would have been signed just after Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki visited Washington requesting American military aid in fighting al-Qaeda and other Sunni extremist groups. In early January, Iran’s deputy chief of staff General Mohammad Hejazi said that his country was ready to provide military equipment and advice to Iraq as it battles al-Qaeda. Maliki payed a visit to Iran one month later.
To help Iraq fight al-Qaeda and other Sunni extremist groups, such as the jihadist Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), Washington has recently promised to speed up its delivery of Hellfire missiles and surveillance drones. The Pentagon is ready to sell more missiles and 24 Apache attack helicopters. “We certainly view the government of Iraq as a partner in the fight against terrorism and we’re committed to supporting them in this fight,” Psaki said.
She added that the United States has provided more than USD 15 billion in equipment, services and training to Iraqi armed services and security.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More