Three explosions in Baghdad,including a car bomb opposite the foreign ministry, killed at least seven people and wounded more than 20 others today, security and medical officials said.
The explosions come amid the worst surge in bloodshed in more than five years, raising fears about Iraq slipping back into sectarian violence that left thousands dead between 2006 and 2007.
The blasts, which also hit a restaurant and a market for vehicle spare parts, struck during the morning rush hour. The attack at the restaurant was a suicide bombing, while the other two explosions were caused by vehicles rigged with explosives. The area surrounding the foreign ministry in central Baghdad has been hit by explosions in the past, notably in August 2009, when a massive truck bomb devastated the building, and again ahead of an Arab summit in the Iraqi capital in 2012.
According to government data, more than 1,000 people were killed in January this year as security forces struggle to curb bombings, while also battling jihadists and other militants who have seized sizeable territory in the western Anbar province.
Foreign leaders and diplomats have urged the Shiite-led government to reach out to Iraq’s Sunni minority, but with parliamentary elections looming in April, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has taken a hard line.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Till now, no group has claimed responsibility for the latest attacks. But Sunni militant groups, including the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), are typically blamed for violence in the capital.