A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a NATO military convoy entering Kabul airport Wednesday,killing himself but causing no other casualties,officials said.
The blast was heard across the Afghan capital,which has seen a recent drop in insurgent attacks after several high-profile strikes earlier this year.
“We can confirm a suicide car bombing that targeted an ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) convoy coming to Kabul International Airport,” a spokeswoman with the NATO force said.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“The vehicle detonated too early and didn’t reach the convoy. There were no ISAF casualties.”
Interior ministry spokesman Sidiq Sediqqi confirmed the attack on the heavily fortified airport,which houses a major NATO military base as well as operating civilian flights to destinations including Dubai,New Delhi and Istanbul.
Sediqqi said there were no Afghan casualties in the incident.
A series of suicide bomb and gun attacks earlier this year targeted foreign compounds,the Supreme Court,the airport and the presidential palace in the capital.
In October,a similar car bomb attack killed two civilians outside a compound housing foreign workers near the airport.