Shiite militiamen in Iraq’s city of Baquba dragged the bodies of Islamic State jihadist fighters through the streets on Sunday and hung them from a bridge and a utility pole. An AFP correspondent saw two bodies displayed in the centre of Baquba, a Shiite-dominated city barely 60 kilometres (40 miles) northeast of Baghdad, but security officials counted at least four.
The city is under the control of the Iraqi army and allied Shiite militiamen but is surrounded by many Sunni villages, which have been captured and recaptured several times in recent weeks. “Several members of Daash were killed on Saturday in a battle just north of Muqdadiyah,” a nearby town, a police captain said, using the Islamic State’s former Arabic acronym.
“Militiamen brought four bodies back and paraded through town in their cars, dragging the corpses behind them,” he said. “Then they hung them in four different spots in Baquba.” A senior army officer gave a corroborating account. Pictures obtained by AFP show one apparently headless body dangling from a utility post as a passer-by tops to snap a photo with his mobile phone.
Another, wearing the baggy sherwal trousers popular with foreign jihadist fighters, is seen hanging from a bridge, next to a banner advertising wedding photography, as traffic passes under. Islamic State fighters and allied Sunni militants swept through large parts of Iraq’s north and west seven weeks ago.
Government forces completely folded in the face on the onslaught and while they have since regrouped and received assistance, they have failed to regain any significant ground. Jihadist-led militants control Fallujah, some 60 kilometres (40 miles) along the main road heading west out of Baghdad.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Holding Baquba, which lies on the easternmost of three roads converging on Baghdad from the north, is considered vital to the defence of the capital.