The presidential palace in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu, home to the country’s internationally-backed government, was hit today by a massive car bomb followed by a raid by gunmen, police and witnesses said.
The UN’s special envoy to Somalia said the country’s president, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, had telephoned to say he was unharmed in the attack against the Villa Somalia, one of the most heavily fortified places in the country.
“There is a large attack on the presidential palace. Initial reports are that a suicide car bomber hit the gate and exploded, then men with guns followed,” police officer Mohamed Ali told AFP.
The attack appeared to bear all the hallmarks of Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels, and comes just a week after the militants carried out a suicide car bomb attack at the gates of Mogadishu’s heavily-fortified international airport.
“Security forces are dealing with terrorists who blew up a car… and there is exchange of fire. We have no details of the casualties but of course there are casualties,” said Ahmed Moalim Adan, a security official near the scene of the attack.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Witness Hussein Isa said the attackers were fighting inside the presidential compound.
“A suicide bomber rammed a car full of explosives into the perimeter wall of the presidential palace and another one with heavily armed men penetrated the area where the first one hit.
There is heavy exchange of gunfire continuing inside the building but we cannot tell what is happening,” said the witness.
The sound of intense gunfire and sporadic explosions could be heard coming from the presidential complex, AFP reporters
In a message on Twitter, UN special envoy Nick Kay said the president “just called me to say he’s unharmed” and that the “attack on Villa Somalia had failed.”
“Sadly some lives lost. I condemn strongly this terrorism,” Kay’s message said.