An attack on churches in northeast Nigeria blamed on Boko Haram killed more than 50 people, an official said today, overshadowing festivities ahead of a last-16 World Cup match against France.
Gunmen stormed Sunday services in four villages near Chibok in Borno state where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls on April 14.
They hurled explosives into churches, torched buildings and fired on worshippers who tried to flee, residents said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“So far we have 54 dead,” said a Borno state official, who requested anonymity as he was not authorised to discuss casualties with the media.
A local leader in Chibok, who also asked that his name be withheld, said residents had discovered at least 47 bodies in the surrounding bushland, but told AFP the search was ongoing and figures were still being collated.
Federal government spokesman Mike Omeri confirmed Monday that “a number of people were killed” but said he had not yet received an official casualty report from the local government and could not discuss specifics.
Locals have accused the military of ignoring distress calls made after the attack began, leaving them defenceless during the attack, but Omeri said: “I was… reliably informed that the military and the airforce were there. Maybe a little late, but they made it there.”
The Chibok leader challenged the government’s version of events, saying the military “did not attempt go” to the scene of the attack.
“Anybody who tells you the military went there is lying,” he said.
In the week following the April abductions, Chibok residents accused the security forces of doing almost nothing to secure the girls’ release, despite military claims that a massive manhunt had been launched.
The US, Britain, France and Israel are now supporting Nigeria’s search-and-rescue operation, but there have been no signs of success so far, with 219 girls still missing.
The villages targeted yesterday are all within 10 kilometres of Chibok. Church attacks have been a prominent feature of the insurgency, which Boko Haram claims is aimed at creating an Islamic state in Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north.
Boko Haram are blamed for killing thousands since 2009, but the first half of this year has been the bloodiest stretch of the insurgency, with more than 2,000 people killed.