Amid reports of several Indians getting stranded in Iraq, a local Bohra Muslim couple, on Sunday, returned safely here after visiting the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala in the strife-torn country.
On June 3, when the crisis in Iraq was yet to break out, Mohmmad Ratlamwala (45) and his wife Tasleem left from Mumbai as a part of 80-member group for a pilgrimage. Their itinerary included visit to Moula Ali Hussain’s dargah at Najaf and Imam Hussain’s dargah at Karbala.
They landed in Tehran, and took a bus to Karbala – 1,000 km away from there, Ratlamwala said. The group did not face any difficulties as they were not allowed to travel elsewhere barring Karbala and Najaf.
However, as the reports of turmoil in the country caused by the invasion by ISIL militants came, the couple’s relatives
here got worried. “Our mobile phones were not working, therefore we were unable to contact our relatives in India which made them anxious, especially after the situation turned violent”, he said. Tension was palpable while returning to Iran as fighting was going on in nearby areas, he said.
Many others from Bohra community in Madhya Pradesh were planning to visit Iraq before the holy month of Ramzan
started. “But following the situation there, our religious head Syedana Sahab directed them to cancel the tour”, said Mazhar Hussain Sethjiwala, a spokesperson of the community
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016