An Iraqi army airstrike in the militant-held northern city of Mosul on Wednesday killed 60 fighters from the extremists Islamic State group, the Iraqi state television reported.
According to the report, the dawn strike targeted a downtown prison that was being used by Islamic State members as a religious court and detention facility.
The claim could not be independently verified and the area was inaccessible to most media. Sunni extremists from the al-Qaida-breakaway Islamic State group seized Mosul, Iraq’s largest second-largest city, in a blitz offensive in June that also captured large swaths of the country’s north and west. The militant onslaught plunged Iraq into its worst crisis since the withdrawal of U.S. troops in 2011.
The group has since imposed a self-styled caliphate in territory it controls in Iraq and Syria, imposing the militants’ harsh interpretation of Islamic law.
Since then, Iraqi government forces and allied Sunni tribal militiamen have been struggling to dislodge the militants but with no apparent progress.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The TV report said 60 militants were killed in Wednesday’s strike and about 300 people who were in the militants’ custody were set free. The report cited intelligence officials but provided no further information.
A Mosul resident, speaking on condition of anonymity fearing for his own safety, told The Associated Press over the phone that families of the prisoners rushed to the site to help their kin.
“The prison was partly damaged in the airstrike,” he said, adding that he did not know if there were casualties.