Confirming that there has been “bombing and firing” in the vicinity of the building where 46 Indian nurses are stuck in Tikrit, India on Tuesday said that the nurses took refuge in the basement of the building. The nurses were “safe and unharmed”, officials said.
“There has been bombing and firing in the vicinity of their (nurses) building. They have taken refuge in the basement. They are in an extremely delicate situation. We have informed the Iraqi agencies of their location and we remain hopeful that despite these difficulties, we will be able to extricate them,” the Ministry of External Affairs’ spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said, adding that the nurses were “safe and unharmed” and in touch with the Indian mission.
With 230 Indians already booked to fly out of strife-torn Iraq, the MEA spokesperson said that an additional 1,000 people have approached them with the request that they want to move out of Iraq and an equal number had conveyed that they want to stay. About the 39 Indians who are still in captivity, he said India’s understanding was that they were unharmed so far.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Meanwhile, Nepal, which has no embassy in Iraq, has sought India’s help in facilitating the departure of its nationals, to which India has agreed, he said. “We have a responsibility towards our neighbours”, the spokesperson said.