Cameroonian officials say Boko Haram fighters who attacked a town in the far north killing nearly 100 people have retreated to Nigeria.
Government spokesman Issa Tchiroma Bakary on Friday said that Cameroonian soldiers assisted by Chadian forces successfully chased hundreds of the Islamic extremists out of the town of Fotokol.
- Three aid workers killed in militant attack in Nigeria – UN
- Nigerian north state says 5,247 Muslims killed from Boko Haram violence in four years
- Boko Haram attacks Nigerian town, kills 11
- Chad, Niger forces move in to attacks extremist Boko Haram
- ‘2,000 killed in deadliest massacre by Boko Haram in Nigeria’
- Boko Haram’s violence continues; kills hundreds more in Nigeria
Boko Haram’s assault inside Cameroon marked an escalation by the Nigerian-based militants who are blamed for killing more than 10,000 people last year.
After being bombed out of several Nigerian towns, hundreds of Boko Haram fighters responded by attacking Fotokol in Cameroon, razing mosques and churches and warning Nigeria’s neighbors not to join the battle against their insurgency.
Last week, African leaders authorized a 7,500-strong force to fight the extremists, including pledges of troops from Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Benin.