A blast in a Shiite district in southern Beirut killed at least two people on Wednesday, security officials said — the latest apparent attack linked to the civil war in neighbouring Syria.
An Associated Press photographer in the area said he heard two explosions near the Kuwaiti Embassy and Iran’s cultural center. Fire engines and ambulances rushed to the area and were seen evacuating some of the wounded in stretchers. Soldiers also deployed and cordoned the area.
Officials said another six people were wounded. They spoke anonymously as they were not authorised to talk to the press. A wave of bombings linked to the war in neighbouring Syria has struck Lebanon over the past few months, killing and wounding scores of people. Many have hit Shiite areas.
One of the deadliest attacks occurred in November, when two suicide attackers blew themselves outside the Iranian Embassy in Beirut, killing 23 people and wounded dozens.
Wednesday’s explosion in the Beir Hassan area was few hundred meters (yards) from the Iranian embassy. Iran is a major backer of Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite militia. Both are allies with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Syrian rebels have vowed to strike against Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon in retaliation for its participation in the war.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More