Suicide bombers have attacked two mosques in northeast Nigeria’s Yobe state killing at least six people and injuring several others, witnesses told AFP blaming the Boko Haram Islamists.
The first explosion rocked an open air mosque belonging to a Shiite Muslim sect in the Dogo Tebo area of the town of Potiskum around 7:55 pm (local time) leaving four people dead yesterday.
The second blast five minutes later at a mosque within the compound of the chief imam in the town’s Anguwar Bolawa area killed at least two worshippers.
“A suicide bomber we believe was from Boko Haram blew himself up at the open air mosque used by Shiites which they name Saqafa shortly after saying their evening prayers there,” witness Balarabe Dahiru said.
“We took four dismembered bodies of the victims to the hospital along with five others who were injured,” said Dahiru who was sitting outside his house when the blast happened.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The body of the suicide bomber was left untouched by residents in protest, he said.
Resident Awwal Maikusa who gave a similar account said a second blast occurred five minutes later.
“They are obviously the handiwork of Boko Haram,” Maikusa said of the two attacks.
“We were trying to deal with the suicide blast in our neighbourhood when a second explosion was heard which we later learnt was from the chief imam’s compound,” he said.
A suicide bomber went inside the mosque while Muslim faithful were saying their evening prayer, said Sheriff Abdullahi who lives in the area.
“There was a loud explosion moments after the suicide bomber entered the mosque,” Abdullahi said.
“I saw two dead bodies whom I recognised being taken out of the mosque,” he said.
The town was locked down by soldiers following the attacks, with residents ordered to remain indoors.
Potiskum, Yobe state’s commercial hub, has been the scene of repeated deadly Boko Haram attacks in the last four years although they have become rarer in recent months.