Syrian Islamist rebels bombarded a campaign rally in support of President Bashar al-Assad’s re-election in a controversial June 3 poll, killing at least 21 people, a monitoring group said.
The mortar fire hit a tent where Assad supporters had gathered in the southern city of Daraa late Thursday and also wounded at least 30 people, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Assad faces two little known challengers in next month’s vote and is widely expected to clinch a third seven-year term in office despite the raging civil war.
The Observatory said a child was among the dead in the attack, the first of its kind on Assad supporters since campaigning got underway earlier this month.
Pro-government militiamen were also among those killed in the mortar attack, which was carried out by an Islamist rebel brigade, the Britain-based watchdog said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
It had initially given a death toll of 22.
Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP the attack “is a clear message from rebels to the regime that there is not one safe area in which to hold the election.”
The June 3 poll will be held only in regime-controlled areas and has been branded as a farce by the exiled opposition and its Western supporters.