At least 59 people were killed in a mass shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas on Monday morning. And over 200 were injured — 14 of them critically wounded — in the rampage which happened at the popular three-day Route 91 Harvest festival. Las Vegas police said one suspect was shot down.
Gunman identified as Stephen Paddock opened fire from a room in the Mandalay Bay hotel on nearly 22000 people assembled at Las Vegas strip during an ongoing music concert. A 64-year-old gunman armed with more than 10 rifles opened fire at the people creating havoc and chaos.
Also Read | Las Vegas shooting LIVE UPDATES
“Confirming that one suspect is down. This is an active investigation. Again, please do not head down to the Strip at this time,” Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department wrote on Twitter.
President Donald Trump calling for unity dubbed the attack as an act of pure evil. The President will visit Las Vegas on Wednesday where he will interact with the law enforcement officials, first responders and the victims of the deadly attack. Trump said that both he and First Lady Melania are praying for those who have been killed and wounded. He said they are praying “for the entire nation to find unity and peace.”
The spokesperson for the University Medical Center hospital said 14 suffered bullet wound and were in a critical condition.
During the day, Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack. Through its news agency Amaq, ISIS said the Las Vegas shooter converted to Islam months ago. However, FBI denied any connection of the attacker with any international terror organisation.
Meanwhile, concert-goers said they saw muzzle flashes from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from the country music festival, and heard the sound of what they described as automatic gunfire. Officers carrying assault rifles were seen running into the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino. Flights at McCarran International Airport were temporarily halted because of the shooting.
Kodiak Yazzie, 36, told AP he and his girlfriend were watching American singer Jason Aldean’s performance when he heard what sounded like fireworks. The music stopped temporarily and started again before another round of pops sent the performers ducking for cover and fleeing the concert area. US media reported that Aldean had been bundled safely off stage.