Four Indians, facing charges for their roles in Singapore’s worst riot in four decades in December last year, have withdrawn their applications for judicial review proceedings against the government. Three Indian nationals – Arun Kaliamurthy, Rajendran Mohan and Ravi Arun Vengatesh – had sought to quash certain conditions imposed on them pending their criminal trial related to the rioting.
The trio were required to report daily to the Immigration and Check Point Authority. “Two separate judicial review proceedings against the Government, brought by individual charged in connection with the Little India’s Riot, have been withdrawn by the individuals concerned,” Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) said in a statement on Friday.
Their lawyer M Ravi told The Straits Times that his clients had “gotten used to the conditions” and had decided to drop their applications as the trial dates were drawing near. Ravi had the proceedings cancelled on May 7 on behalf of the three. It was slated to be heard by a High Court Judge on May 12. The High Court granted the application, with costs amounting to SGD3,000 (USD 2,392) to be paid by the three applicants.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Ravi had applied to withdraw another judicial review application of Rajendran Ranjan, who had wanted to quash the stern warning administered by the police and the order of removal made by the Controller of Immigration. Rajendran also wanted to have his work permit reinstated.
“A few months have passed and he (Rajnedran) has since continued with his life in India,” Ravi was quoted as saying. The High Court has imposed a fine of SGD1,000 on Rajendran, which would be paid by his uncle Arumugam Sivanathan. Arumugam had authorised the proceedings on behalf of Rajendran who was given a stern warning by the police for his alleged role in the December 8 riot in Little India, a precinct of Indian-origin businesses, eateries and pubs.
The Controller of Immigration assessed the situation and decided Rajendran’s presence in Singapore was undesirable. His visit pass was cancelled as a result and he was deported from Singapore on December 20 last year. Twenty-five Indians were charged for the riot in Little India. Cases against 15 are pending while others have been dealt with.
Some 400 migrant workers from South Asia were alleged to have been involved in the riots in which 54 Singaporean officers were injured and 23 emergency vehicles damaged.