An Indian-origin British businessman accused of plotting the murder of his Indo-Swedish wife on their honeymoon in Cape Town, will be extradited to South Africa within days, a media report said on Saturday.
The 33-year-old was refused permission to appeal to the Supreme Court earlier this month, but had been expected to take his fight to the European Court of Human Rights, which has in the past overturned decisions made by British judges.
However, sources close to the case have indicated that he and his legal team have now decided against any further appeal, the Telegraph reported. Dewani, who is currently being detained under the Mental Health Act after being diagnosed with severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, is expected to be placed on a flight to Cape Town before April 6.
Dewani is accused of ordering the killing of his wife, a 28-year-old Swedish national of Indian-origin. The charge dates back to November 2010 when the pair were held at gunpoint while driving through Cape Town in a taxi. Dewani was released unharmed but his wife’s body was found in the car with injuries to her head and chest. Prosecutors allege South African national Xolile Mngeni, who was later convicted of premeditated murder and jailed for life, had been hired by Dewani to kill his wife.
The legal battle to keep Dewani in the UK until he is well enough to travel has been ongoing since 2011. On March 3, Dewani lost his last legal battle to block his extraditing.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More