A 27-year-old Indian student, who had overstayed his visa in Australia, died at an immigration detention centre in Melbourne.
The student hung himself in his cell at the Maribyrnong immigration detention centre on Thursday night, Fairfax Media reported quoting its sources.
Australia’s immigration minister, Scott Morrison, confirmed that the man was found unconscious by the centre staff. Police, however, said the death was not being treated as suspicious.
The man had been detained in January after overstaying his visa, police said.
The provincial government in a statement expressed its “sympathy to the family and friends of the deceased man, and will provide support to the police and other authorities as appropriate to assist with their investigations”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review