An Indian man, posing as a spiritual healer in Britain, has been charged with blackmail and fraud worth thousands of pounds in a court.
Mohammed Ashrafi, who called himself ‘Kamal-Ji’, appeared at Leicester Magistrate’s Court on Friday and was charged on one count of blackmail and one count of fraud by false representation in relation to “facilitating a 60 million pounds lottery win”.
Ashrafi is alleged to have defrauded a woman out of 10,000 pounds through a healing and astrology service advertised in Leicester and to have obtained 50,000 pounds through blackmail.
The Indian national, in the UK on a six-month work visa, spoke through a Hindi interpreter to confirm his name, age and address.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The court ordered Ashrafi to be remanded into custody and appear at the Leicester Crown Court later this month.
Earlier in May, the Leicestershire police had warned public in the predominantly Indian-dominated city of Leicester against the conman known as ‘Kamal-Ji’ who claimed to be a devotee of Sai Baba.
They had warned that the spiritual healer advertised through leaflets of his ability to help people with problems such as poor health and failure in business and relationships.
Detective Sergeant Mark Sinski, who is investigating the incident, had said, “The suspect has advertised his services in Leicestershire by radio and newspaper adverts and on flyers. Subsequently his services have then been recommended by word of mouth with some victims living out of the county.”