An Indian-origin man in the US has been accused of brutally bludgeoning his 66-year-old father with a sledgehammer over a comment made while playing puzzles.
Vinayak Shanbhag, 33, has been charged with attempted first degree murder after his father was found grievously injured and bleeding in the family’s Holly Hill home in Florida on Saturday morning, according to an arrest report.
Vinayak confessed to beating his sleeping father with a sledgehammer because of a comment he made after a night of “playing puzzles”, police said.
The victim’s wife told police she went to check on her husband Pandurang Shanbhag, whom she has a separate room from because of her arthritis, at 6 am when she heard him coughing in bed.
There she found him vomiting blood and extremely bloody. Her son, soon after, came into the room and said, “I did it,” according to the police report.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The wife told police he did not say anything else and she called 911, the New York Daily News reported.
When officers’ arrived, Vinayak told police that the night before they were “playing puzzles” when his father stated something to upset him.
“He thought about the statement his father said to him all night and that is when he decided to beat his father,” police said.
Pandurang was listed in critical but stable condition yesterday at Halifax Health Medical Center, Holly Hill Police Chief Mark Barker said.
He is listed in the Daytona Beach university’s website as a chemistry professor in the School of Science, Engineering and Math, The Daytona Beach News Journal reported.
Vinayak majored in chemistry at Bethune-Cookman and graduated in 2000.
The arrest report described officers seeing blood on a car’s front headlight and the ground surrounding it. Vinayak was found sitting on a couch next to his mother.
Scanning the home’s rooms, an officer reported seeing blood “all over every wall in the bedroom” where the victim had been lying.
A bloody sledgehammer was left on the floor of the bedroom.
Vinayak told police he had been violent with other family members in the past.
He is being held at the Volusia County branch jail on USD 50,000 bond.