An Indian-origin man in the US has been accused of brutally bludgeoning his 66-year-old father with a sledgehammer over a comment made while playing puzzles.
Vinayak Shanbhag, 33, has been charged with attempted first degree murder after his father was found grievously injured and bleeding in the family’s Holly Hill home in Florida on Saturday morning, according to an arrest report.
Vinayak confessed to beating his sleeping father with a sledgehammer because of a comment he made after a night of “playing puzzles”, police said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The victim’s wife told police she went to check on her husband Pandurang Shanbhag, whom she has a separate room from because of her arthritis, at 6 am when she heard him coughing in bed.
There she found him vomiting blood and extremely bloody. Her son, soon after, came into the room and said, “I did it,” according to the police report.
The wife told police he did not say anything else and she called 911, the New York Daily News reported.
When officers’ arrived, Vinayak told police that the night before they were “playing puzzles” when his father stated something to upset him.
“He thought about the statement his father said to him all night and that is when he decided to beat his father,” police said.
Pandurang was listed in critical but stable condition yesterday at Halifax Health Medical Center, Holly Hill Police Chief Mark Barker said.
He is listed in the Daytona Beach university’s website as a chemistry professor in the School of Science, Engineering and Math, The Daytona Beach News Journal reported.
Vinayak majored in chemistry at Bethune-Cookman and graduated in 2000.
The arrest report described officers seeing blood on a car’s front headlight and the ground surrounding it. Vinayak was found sitting on a couch next to his mother.
Scanning the home’s rooms, an officer reported seeing blood “all over every wall in the bedroom” where the victim had been lying.
A bloody sledgehammer was left on the floor of the bedroom.
Vinayak told police he had been violent with other family members in the past.
He is being held at the Volusia County branch jail on USD 50,000 bond.