An influential group of Indian-American doctors has campaigned at the Capitol Hill for Dr Vivek Murthy, who has been nominated by President Barack Obama for the post of Surgeon General of the United States.
On the eve of his confirmation, a delegation of American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) met eminent Senators to lobby for the quick confirmation of 36-year-old Murthy. If he’s confirmed, Dr Murthy would not only be the first-ever Indian-American to occupy this post, but also the youngest ever Surgeon General of the US.
Flying in from various parts of the country, the group of Indian-American doctors met with Senators Tim Scott, Mike Enzi, Lamar Alexander, Mark Kirk, Orrin Hatch, Pat Roberts, Richard Burr, and Rand Paul. “The nomination of Dr Murthy as the US Surgeon General cements the reputation physicians of Indian origin have across America,” said Dr Jayesh Shah, AAPI president. “We are proud of Vivek and his many accomplishments and look forward to supporting him throughout the confirmation process,” added Shah.
If confirmed, Murthy will also become the 19th surgeon general for an office that was established in 1871 in the US. As the Surgeon General, Murthy will be the leading spokesperson on matters of public health in the US and the operational head of the 6500-strong US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, one of the seven uniformed services of the United States that includes the army, navy, air force and marines. “Murthy would be an inspiring Surgeon General who would bring a unifying message about prevention to communities across the country,” said Dr Sampat Shivangi.
“He would be a thoughtful partner for the public and elected officials from both parties to lead the nation towards better health for all,” said AAPI president-elect Dr Ravi Jahagirdar.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More