Indian-origin man subjected to racial slurs in NZ; told to go back to his own country

The abuser, who is seen in video wearing a grey Everlast t-shirt, also made tasteless remarks about Punjabi people.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:March 8, 2017 1:17 am
 Indian man assaulted in New Zealand, Indian man attacked in Auckland, racial slurs at Indian man in New Zealand, Narindervir Singh, Auckland, road rage incident, Indian man racial abuse, Indian subjected to racial attack in New Zealand, world news, india news, indian express Auckland: The man who abused Narvinder Singh. (Source: Facebook/NV Singh)

Another case of racial attack has come to light as an Indian national in New Zealand was subjected to racial slurs and told to go back to his own country during a road rage incident in Auckland, according to a local media report. Narindervir Singh said he videographed the incident from inside his vehicle last week. “I gave him a space… that lady gave me the finger. He was driving that car [pointing to a white Holden] and now he’s trying to threaten me, giving me bad names,” Singh says in a video which was being streamed live onto Facebook.

The situation escalated after Singh informed the driver that he was uploading the video live. He was then racially abused and told to go back to his own country. The abuser, who is seen in video wearing a grey Everlast t-shirt, also made tasteless remarks about Punjabi people, Newshub reported.

Singh said the abuser was tail-gating and, therefore, he simply pulled over to let him pass. “It really shocked me and after he [left], I was really shaken,” Singh was quoted as saying by Newshub.  “I don’t know what to do, it really hurts my heart…The first thing in my mind was that he might hurt me with some weapon.”

He also claimed that the abuser continued to unleash racist rant against him when he parked on a nearby side street.

Another Indian national, Bikramjit Singh, also became the victim of racial abuse last week when he left a Papatoetoe storage facility. Both men have filed complaints with police.

With inputs from PTI

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

Ramesh
    Mar 7, 2017 at 12:22 am
    Today in a fast food joint in the US I was struggling with a word to convey my need to the person who was preparing my food and the respected person next to me helped me and ending his sentence with the using "my friend". I was pleasantly happy for his kindness. In India everybody is enemy for the next person, remember.
      Mike
      Mar 7, 2017 at 2:27 am
      What does 56" has to to with this report. Aren't you a sick person
        Masood Ali
        Mar 7, 2017 at 12:58 pm
        Misbehaved, uncleaned, unshvaven and loud Hindi songs would have provoked this guy to slur racist remarks.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt; For no reasons people even don't hurt small insects.
          Amitava Ghosh
          Mar 7, 2017 at 3:32 am
          Newzelanders,India is a very tolerant country and does not espouse hatred of any form towards any foreigners.But do not underestimate this tolerance and resort to racial violence against Indians lest our patience gets really ruptured and backlash occurs here to your phone people.
            Achoot
            Mar 7, 2017 at 12:37 pm
            I saw the video the guy in the car is proper arrsse.he is clearly provoking the white guy by making his video.he thinks he is the king of NZ roads.punjabis have atude problem.lt;br/gt;I wonder how is he surviving dere.lt;br/gt;Learn to live learn to let go
              Achoot
              Mar 7, 2017 at 7:51 am
              Indians do exactly the same and sometimes worse to foreigners.lt;br/gt;so its give and take.
                AK
                Mar 7, 2017 at 2:50 am
                All is fine till it happens to me.
                  Darkhorse
                  Mar 7, 2017 at 4:19 am
                  Doesnt this happen in India with fellow Indians from North east or people from other state forget about the foreigners.