Ukraine’s Petro Poroshenko was sworn in as president of his troubled country on Saturday as government forces battled pro-Russian separatists in the east.
Taking the oath in an inauguration ceremony in parliament, Poroshenko, who will be the post-Soviet country’s fifth president since independence in 1991, pledged to protect Ukraine’s sovereignty and independence and safeguard the rights and freedoms of its citizens.
Poroshenko, a 48-year-old confectionery tycoon who served as foreign minister and minister of economic development in two previous administrations, was elected on May 25, three months after his predecessor Viktor Yanukovich was toppled by street protests and fled to Russia.
Poroshenko, who won a landslide victory after campaigning on the slogan “Live in a new way”, is expected later on Saturday to lay out a programme for restoring stability in the rebellious east and moving Ukraine into the European mainstream.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More