Ukrainian forces said on Friday that rebels in the conflict-torn east had opened fire on a medical evacuation helicopter, injuring the three crew on board and forcing it to make an emergency landing.
The incident occurred late Thursday near the airport of Lugansk, the second largest rebel-held city, the military said
in a statement.
“Terrorists opened fire on a medical Mi-8 helicopter (Medevac), the crew made an emergency landing,” it said, adding that the helicopter was damaged in the attack and that all three injured airmen were brought to a hospital in territory controlled by the government.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The statement also noted that Russia continued to fire on Ukrainian positions from across the border.
This latest incident comes after rebels shot down a Ukrainian fighter jet on Thursday.
Rebels said that the two pilots from the downed plane had been found and captured.
Ukrainian forces have lost a string of aircraft during the conflict.
The jet came down some 40 kilometres west of the crash site of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, which the US has accused rebels of shooting down on July 17 with a missile likely supplied by Russia.
Fighting continues to rage around rebel-held cities in east Ukraine, as government forces make their advances and try to cut the strongholds off from each other and the Russian border.
Over 1,300 people have already been killed and 285,000 forced to flee during almost four months of conflict that the Red Cross has designated a civil war.