U.S. President Barack Obama landed in Poland on Tuesday at the start of a four-day trip to Europe meant to reassure allies there that the United States has their backs in the wake of the Russian intervention in Ukraine.
In Poland, Ukraine’s western neighbor and a U.S. NATO ally, Obama meets with leaders including Ukraine’s president-elect, Petro Poroshenko, and is expected to address criticism he has not done enough to push back against Moscow after it annexed Crimea in March.
Obama began his day by meeting Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski at Warsaw airport. The two leaders will visit U.S. and Polish airmen and are slated to appear a joint press conference after holding talks.
During brief remarks after his arrival, Obama said U.S. commitments to Poland and the region were a cornerstone of the United States’ own security. “As friends and allies we stand united together,” Obama said.
Later Obama will meet Prime Minister Donald Tusk, followed by a session with other central and eastern European leaders who are gathered in Warsaw.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
His visit coincides with the “Freedom Day” anniversary in Poland, which marks the holding of the country’s first partially-free elections 25 years ago.
Later in the week, Obama travels to Brussels for a meeting of G7 leaders and then to France for the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in World War II.