German Chancellor Angela Merkel held an emergency meeting with the leaders of coalition partners to defuse a widening crisis in her two-month-old government sparked by the opening of a child pornography probe against Indian-origin former lawmaker Sebastian Edathy.
Merkel met Horst Seehofer, chairman of the Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU) and Sigmar Gabriel, chairman of the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), for about three hours yesterday in the backdrop of the rising tension within the coalition following the resignation of Food and Agriculture Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich.
Friedrich quit last week over suspicions he leaked confidential information about the probe against Sebastian Edathy while serving as interior minister. Edathy, son of a migrant from Kerala, has denied wrongdoing but has left parliament. The three leaders left the meeting without making any statement. The state prosecutor’s office in Hannover, which is conducting the investigation, said their raids on the houses and offices of Edathy provided very little evidence relevant for a criminal prosecution against Edathy and they believed that he had received advanced information about the raids.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Edathy was the SPD’s home affairs spokesman until August and a member of the party’s managing board. He unexpectedly laid down his seat in the Bundestag, the lower house of parliament, on February 7, few days before the prosecutor’s office opened its probe. Ahead of yesterday’s meeting, Merkel called for a thorough clarification of the child pornography affair involving Edathy.