Lufthansa, Germany’s biggest airline, said it will cancel around 600 European and domestic flights on Thursday due to a strike by ground staff, baggage handlers and maintenance workers. The giant services sector union Verdi has called for the walkout at Germany’s major airports over a pay dispute.
“The airlines of the Lufthansa group expect substantial disruptions to air traffic tomorrow, due to the strikes called by Verdi,” it said in a statement. It quoted media estimates that around 6,000 employees in Frankfurt alone would take part in the strike. “But there will also be disruptions in Munich, Dusseldorf, Cologne-Bonn, Stuttgart, Hamburg and Hanover,” the statement added.
“In view of the strikes, Lufthansa is cancelling almost all domestic and European connections in Frankfurt and Munich until 2:00 pm (1300 GMT).” Also affected would be long-haul connections to and from both Frankfurt and Munich, Lufthansa warned. Flights operated by the Germanwings subsidiary and the regional carriers to and from Munich would not be affected.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016